Here’s what’s going on with Baby developmentally this week (from BabyCenter):
Your baby has really plumped up. He weighs about 6.8 pounds and he’s over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). He has a firm grasp, which you’ll soon be able to test when you hold his hand for the first time! His organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.
Wondering what color your baby’s eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If he’s born with brown eyes, they’ll likely stay brown. If he’s born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time he’s 9 months old. That’s because a child’s irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after he’s born, but they usually won’t get “lighter” or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)
How far along: 38 weeks.
Total weight gain: 0 pounds this week – I’m still hanging in there at 40 lbs. of total weight gain!
Report – 38-Week Ultrasound + Prenatal Appointment: All is well with me and with baby boy – his heartbeat was in the 140s today, and my blood pressure is still fantastic. I’m still dilated only one centimeter (boo!), but I’m trying to be grateful for the fact that baby boy likes being in my belly so much that he wants to hang out a bit longer. :)
Best moments of the week: Finalizing my post-defense revision of my M.A. thesis (I’m hoping to hear back from my adviser soon regarding if there’s anything else that I need to do, or if I’m officially DONE with the thesis!); spending two full days in the company of my brother and my husband over the weekend – it’s so nice to have my brother Brian living at home with our parents for the summer, because I get to see him more often!; finding my brother’s baptism outfit and washing it up, so that our little man can wear it when he’s baptized in August – how special!; putting together our baby’s stroller and figuring out how to collapse it (which I can do all by myself!); my belly button has popped!; spending the evening with my hubby watching soccer on Wednesday night; catching up via phone with two of my best gal pals this week; nesting, nesting, nesting!
Nursery report: As I mentioned last week, our baby boy’s room is nearly finished – I still can’t believe it! When I last wrote, I mentioned a few things that I still needed to do in the nursery, but as of Wednesday of this week, I’m so excited to share this (shorter!) list of what we have left to accomplish in the nursery before our baby comes:
– Even though I mentioned last week that we were waiting to print two more art prints for the nursery, since each print has the baby’s name on it, I came across a great deal on Zazzle, and since we’re so confident and SO IN LOVE with our baby’s name, we jumped on the chance to order these last two prints from Zazzle earlier this week. So, all that we need to do when the prints arrive via mail is to put them in their respective frames in the baby’s room (which are already hanging up, waiting!). I cannot wait to see the prints!
– I’ve painted (with baby-safe paint!) almost all of the wooden letters that spell out the baby’s name (I mistakenly purchased a letter that had a bunch of dings and nicks in it, so my Mom is picking up another letter for me and bringing it up this weekend for me to paint!). Once I paint the final letter and it dries, we’ll hang up the letters in the nursery (and then we’ll forbid anyone access to the nursery until the baby is here – remember, we’re keeping his name a secret until he is born!).
– Attach the crib skirt. This is happening when my Mom visits us on Saturday – I can’t wait to see it!
That’s it! Isn’t that crazy?! We just can’t wait to get everything done in the nursery. Even though we would be elated to have our baby boy join us anytime, I’d love to have his nursery totally ready for him before he comes, and since we only have these tasks left (and since I’m not officially due until June 15), we’re hopeful that baby boy will hang around for a little while longer in my belly before joining us, so that we can finish up these little to-do items!
I also mentioned in my post last week that I was waiting for a black and white zig zag area rug to arrive for the nursery. The rug arrived on Tuesday of this week, and I can’t tell you how fantastic it looks in the baby’s room! Jord and I are both big fans of the rug and the statement that it makes right in the middle of the room – it really brings the room together! I bet you can’t wait to see it, huh – only a few more weeks to wait before I share pictures of the nursery in all of its glory! :)
Our “Before Baby” To-Do List: We do have a few other items on our to-do list that we’d like to get accomplished before the baby comes; these tasks include:
– Making two batches of spaghetti sauce and two batches of taco meat to freeze, so that we’ll have some of our favorite meals to eat when the baby’s first at home with us! (We’re also lucky that our parents are making food for us for when the baby’s born – we feel so blessed!) I plan to tackle this task on Saturday when my Mom’s here.
– Read one more breastfeeding book. This one’s a to-do item just for me; I’d like to read the last breastfeeding book on my shelf, which is Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers. The book came highly recommended from a few bloggers that I follow, and I am hoping that I will have time to dive into the book before baby boy joins us. If not, I certainly have reading material for our stay at the hospital! :)
– Set up our TV stand and our kitchen table, which (knock on wood) will be here this weekend! Remember, we lent my brother these furniture items to use in his college apartment, since we didn’t have room for them in our last apartment, but now that we have room, we’re anxious to put them to good use! (And it will be wonderful to get our TV off the floor, which is where it’s currently sitting…)
– Hang up the last of our decor items in the living room. I’ve been dragging my feet on hanging things in this room, particularly because I have to tackle hanging quite a heavy mirror, but I’m (slowly) gaining confidence in my hanging skills – I’ve done A LOT of decorating lately around the house, all by myself! – so I’m hoping that I can muster the bravery needed to hang that mirror this weekend.
What I’m looking forward to: My Mom coming to visit tomorrow; my due date (June 15) that is fast approaching; meeting our baby son; sharing his name with anyone and everyone!
Next appointment: Our next prenatal appointment is next Friday, June 8, at 8:30AM.